Wednesday, July 29, 2009

November 2008

Delta Dish
Volume 4 Issue 11

*** Random Thoughts

Like last year and the year before, I am happy to see November. Last month was a whirlwind. November seems kinder and gentler. The hubbub of Christmas hasn’t quite begun and the promise of autumn has arrived – cool temperatures, flannel pajamas, warm soups for dinner.

My fiancé and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year. I’ve been thinking about the menu lately. Okay, that’s a lie. I’ve been thinking about the menu for close to two months. In early October, I wrote out the menu. OH YES I DID. I looked online for ideas for inventive table décor and came across an article on Martha Stewart’s website wherein you take acorns and use an awl and attach hooks and something, I don’t know. I remember thinking if I had to do a dozen of those, I would not be sane and then what fun would Thanksgiving be.

Our families will be here for Thanksgiving. We’ll have smoked turkey and honey baked ham and my grandmother ‘s dressing and I’m almost beside myself, I’m so looking forward.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday.

Best,
Keetha


*** Great Quote

“There is one day that is ours. There is one day when all we Americans who are not self-made go back to the old home to eat saleratus biscuits and marvel how much nearer to the porch the old pump looks than it used to. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.” -- O. Henry


*** Fun Food Idea

Does it seem to you that many magazines, in their November issues, have recipes that are invariably for a new twist on traditional Thanksgiving dishes? Or the articles encourage readers to try something new this year?

Me, I encourage you to not try anything new this year. I like the traditional holiday dishes. I like having on our Thanksgiving table what we always have, forever and ever, amen.

Having said that, though, if you ARE in the market for something newish to do with sweet potatoes, you may want to try baking them twice, like so:

Preheat oven to 350.

Scrub 6 potatoes and bake until tender, probably 45 to 60 minutes, depending on their size. Let cool.

Scoop out insides and place in a large bowl. Add a few tablespoons of softened butter, one small can crushed pineapple, drained, a teaspoon or two of orange zest, a teaspoon of almond flavoring or a splash of Amaretto, and a sprinkling of nutmeg. Stir well and put back in potato shells. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.


Another easy dish to try:

My fiancé, Jeffrey, introduced me to this dish and it's been a standard in our kitchen ever since. It came from a cookbook from his hometown of Hollandale, Mississipi. Rice Dressing can be a side dish, not unlike traditional cornbread dressing (only it’s, you know, RICE) or a meal-in-one.

1 cup rice, uncooked
1 can Cream of whatever soup (you can use cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of whatever your heart desires)
about half that empty soup can of water
1 can French onion soup
1 pound ground turkey (or beef), uncooked
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
(Or you can use one package of frozen chopped onion and bell pepper.)
About 3 ribs stalks of celery, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Stir well and cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake for about one hour.

Note: Smells crazy good while it’s cooking.


*** Pass It On

If there’s someone who you think would enjoy this newsletter, please forward this issue in its entirety. You’re welcome to comment here with your email address to subscribe or send an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to kudzuuu at gmail dot com.


*** Hit the Highlights

The blog has a shiny new look. Check it out!

For the third year, I’m participating in National Blog Posting Month, wherein I will post every day for the month of November.

A few choice blog posts from this past month:

A tribute to my high school history teacher on election day.

Photos of things that caught my eye

Fall goodness

Our trip to Charleston
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

Check the blog often!


*** Shameless Bid for Commerce

To see what people, who I didn’t pay (really!), say about More Culinary Kudzu, visit here.


*** Recommended Reading

My take on all the books I read last month:


*** Adorable Thing My Child Said

He and I are looking at a Christmas magazine together, oohing and aahing over the cookies. He says:

Mommy, can we make these at Christmas?

Oooh, what about those?

Can we make this one?

And then he says: You can take pictures and put it on your blog.


*** Mississippi Writers Guild

The Mississippi Writers Guild is a non-profit association of writers from all over the state and is a growing part of Mississippi’s literary art landscape. Membership dues are only $40.00 per year. To learn more, visit here.


*** Calendar of Events

Saturday, November 15 – Christmas Open House in Winona. My head really may explode from all this goodness.

Thursday, November 27 – Thanksgiving


*** Reminders and Unsubscribe Info.

If you would like to unsubscribe from this newsletter, simply send an email with “unsubscribe” in the subject line to kudzuuu at gmail dot com - we’ll miss you but won’t harass you about staying or coming back.

2008 © Pecan Street Press. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment