Wednesday, July 29, 2009

September 2008

Delta Dish
Volume 4 Issue 9

*** Random Thoughts

I used to think that game show asking if you were smarter than a fifth grader was silly. I mean, duh, who isn’t?

But ya’ll. My son started first grade last month and you wouldn’t believe the homework! Several pages of it, three or four or five nights a week. In first grade!

These aren’t pictures to color or dots to connect, it’s bona fide homework. Spelling words. Reading comprehension. Ask me what grade my son is again so I can screech, “FIRST GRADE!”

In the olden days when I was in elementary school, we had homework for the first time in fourth grade. I remember that very specifically, because having homework seemed so grownup. I figured next thing you knew you’d have a white Jeep like Daisy Duke and get to tear around driving, wearing wedge sandals with cutoff shorts. Isn’t that what all grownups did?

When we did have homework, it was never but ever on a Wednesday night. Because? Everybody has church on Wednesday nights. Homework was also never assigned on a Friday night. Because? Duh. It’s Friday!

My son, in the FIRST GRADE, has had homework on both Wednesday and Friday nights. In the same week, even. I’ll be the first to say that in all likelihood, I baby and pamper and fuss over him too much. But I have to say that I feel like I’m right on this one when I say that it seems a bit much to expect a bunch of six year olds to handle all this. When are they supposed to play and have fun? They’ll have all their lives to work and worry and stress. Are we pushing them too hard? I think so. And it’s just FIRST GRADE.

I understand that in some schools, second graders are being taught basic algebra, a subject I didn’t even know how to pronounce until eighth grade. My poor child will have to have a tutor because his mother can help him very, very little when it comes to most mathematical subjects.

Best,
Keetha


*** Great Quote

“I love September, especially when we’re in it.” – professional baseball player Willie Stargell


*** Fun Food Idea

I’m too stressed dealing with homework to think about food.

Kidding.

Sort of.

I miss cooking, I can tell you that much. For the past four months, it’s been too hot to play much in the kitchen. We eat dinner, of course. This is what we’ve had most often: all manners of delicious things from the grill, big salads with sautéed shrimp or grilled chicken, quesadillas and rice, tuna steaks, homemade pizza, not to mention chicken from the crock pot and rotisserie chicken. What would we do without rotisserie chicken.

My all time favorite side dish we cooked this summer is, hands down, asparagus spears wrapped in proscuitto and grilled. There aren’t words for me to tell you how good it is.

I *can* tell you how to make it: wrap a piece of proscuitto around a fresh asparagus spear. Repeat. Lay the spears on a baking sheet with sides and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and olive oil. Or, if you realize when you’re marinating the filets that you’ve just run out of Lea & Perrins, as we did Sunday evening, you can leave that out. Sprinkle spears with Cavender’s Greek seasoning. Grill, broil, or bake until the proscuitto is crisp.

A picture is here. (scroll down a bit, passed the wonderfulness that is cheese-stuffed hamburgers)

My second most favorite side dish is sauteed spinach. My gosh. It is truly one of the fastest and easiest dishes and is so good. AND healthy, too! How often does that happen? Usually if something tastes good and is healthy, it’s a lot of trouble. Or if it’s delicious and easy, it’s unhealthy, like a bag of miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups. Uh, not that I’d know ANYTHING about that.

Heat a bit of olive oil and butter in a medium skillet and sauté some chopped onion and minced garlic on low heat until the onion is translucent. When you’re about to set the table and sit down and eat, add the spinach to the skillet and cover. It will take five minutes or less to cook.
Slightly more detailed directions.

Super easy yet yummy chicken – it got rave reviews from a blog reader and her husband. Raves.


*** Pass It On

If there’s someone who you think would enjoy this newsletter, please forward this issue in its entirety. You’re welcome to email me at kudzuuu at gmail dot com to sign up.


*** Hit the Highlights

Photos off the beaten path

Adventures in workouts

Back to school

Remember when being asked for an ID was offensive

Check the blog often!


*** Shameless Bid for Commerce

To see what people, who I didn’t pay (really!), say about More Culinary Kudzu, visit here!


*** Recommended Reading

Just last month I posted the annual roundup of the books I read last year, as well as the announcement of my very favorite book from all of the last twelve months. I know you have all been on the edge of your seat!

The results.

I read a few books in August and will get that posted, um, soon. This week. Probably.


*** Adorable Thing My Child Said
He asked if Winona had two post offices, because big cities have more than one post office.

Me: How did you know that big cities have more than one post office?

Him: Because I’m smart.

Me: . . .


*** Mississippi Writers Guild

The Mississippi Writers Guild sponsors writer workshops, conferences, writer retreats and reputable writing contests. Membership dues are only $40.00 per year.

The Mississippi Writers Guild is a non-profit association of writers from all over the state and is a growing part of Mississippi’s literary art landscape.


*** Calendar of Events

Saturday, September 6 – MSU vs. Southeastern Louisiana – first home football game of the season. I’m thinking there will be a cowbell or two there.

Sunday, September 7 – The Fiancé’s birthday

Saturday, September 13 – MSU vs. Auburn at Starkville at 6:00, televised on ESPN2. We will be there to enjoy the game and the Famous Maroon Marching Band live.


*** Reminders and Unsubscribe Info.

If you would like to unsubscribe from this newsletter, simply send an email with “unsubscribe” in the subject line to keethadreed@yahoo.com - we’ll miss you but won’t harass you about staying or coming back.

2008 © Pecan Street Press. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment